09 October 2010

Final Hours, A Time For Reflection (and tacos)

Another day for adventures.


Where in NYC is this? An above ground subway station? Did we go back to queens?


Nope, it's the 125th stop on the 1 line. Also the one time home of both Caitlin and I, though she lived up here much longer than me so we will focus on her for this post. But I did call this place home for my first four months in NYC while I did my internship and looked for a job.


This was caitlin's first apartment while she was going to graduate school at columbia.


Oh the memories. She still keeps in regular contact with old roommates and friends from these tender times.


Speaking of graduate school, here is where she lived for that year. Okay, not lived, but she probably spent as much time here as her bed. Now Caitlin is an accomplished Master at helping jose in need! She uses many of the skills she learned here to manipulate me into being productive and happy.


Her grocery store of choice. She was sad to see not all the same faces several years later. Times change. So do grocery store workers. They go onto get better jobs, possibly with the MTA.


Having been a vegetarian basically her entire life, NYC was like being dropped in food heaven. So many beans, veggies, and grains to provide joy how does one choose?


Did you know my great grandpa went to Columbia Law School and then worked in NYC for many years? If I have my facts right, he was also the first bishop when Manhattan became it's own ward.


Caitlin and I both have funny memories of Deluxe. Everyone was obsessed with eating there, particularly the cobb salad. But we both thought that it was too expensive and tried to avoid going whenever possible. Man, times have changed.


Here's where I liked to get my food - Koronet! It was like $2.50 for a pepperoni pizza the size of a Time Magazine and a soda. While jobless, I could afford that.


Did you know the circle on Central Park West and 110th is done? It was under construction the entire time I lived in NYC. As I am writing this I'm having random memories about the few times I ventured here to meet up with Gina. Do people remember her?


Ah yes. The station by Caitlins house while we dated. So many late nights walking here and then waiting unknown amount of time for a local train that would get me home an hour later. One time I farted from caitlin's house the 4 blocks all the way to this station cause I had been holding it in for so long. That was before I started farting in front of Caitlin shamelessly (except for right now because I am abstaining from farting in front of her for the rest of 2010).


Her apartment of many years. Who is in there now?


Then we went down more memory lane with a tacos lunch on 107th. Jeff introduced Max to the delicious chips and salsa of this place.


My meal. Chorizo taco and pastor quesadilla. Holy crap I love it.


And so do these guys. It's where real bonding happens.


After lunch we took max to the park and let him have some me time. He needs a moment to become one with the grass and his belly. We used that time to learn all about Jeffs life and doings over the past year.


The family. I love Max's shorts so much it kills me.


Up by the reservoir. This is caitlin's favorite spot in NYC, and not just for running.








Though it is a great place to run.


She loves it because this is where I first pulled the moves that I have, which are amazing. Right here, under this pole. Okay, we debated which pole...but it happened.


This picture symbolizes our crossing the bridge back to our lives in Chicago. We had an amazing time. As we rode in the cab over the tri-borough bridge, Max started waving at the skyline and it melted our hearts. Thanks for the amazing times everyone. New York, you would.

1 comment:

Pamsky said...

Your great grandfather was the first bishop of the New York City 1st ward. The ward covered the entire city.

Who the heck is "jose" and what does he need?