06 January 2010

The Wait Made Bareable With Art

The day after Christmas (reminder, this was Caitlin's true due date), we headed down to walk Max out of her body in Chicago and at the Art Institute of Chicago. I was pretty excited to see the new modern wing of the museum.
First, we had some required bean shots to do. Lynn had never been to the bean, nor downtown I believe.
Classy lookin' dudes and dudettes.
It was a pretty cold snowy day, perfect for snapping some great shots the cloudy architecture in Chicago - including the Sears (er, um Willis) Tower.
Caitlin and Fam - strong, majestic, snowy.
Inside the modern wing, we got down to it. Despite her pregnancy, Caitlin was intent on observing herself some art.
I really liked this painting. I can't remember who did it, but he was criticized for being to "normal" with his portraits...but I liked how he uses muted, 2D backgrounds to bring added depth to his portraits.
This one was the worst piece of art in the entire building. Yes, this guy able to hand draw some very nice letters. But seriously? Even though this is Halloween of my birth year, I was still not impressed.
This might have been my favorite in the modern wing. I loved the city scape made evident through abstract lines, colors and streaks. The energy of a city is clear, as is the scope and sprawl. You can almost imagine the buildings that would exist in this city.
Breaks were taken, don't worry.
And gift shops were checked out.
Amazing piece of art? You decide. This is a shot I took with my camera of the Sears Tower. No Photoshop in this biotch.

Whats up with the neon light art that is so popular right now? I have seen like three exhibits like this lately. It made for some great photography though. I got in trouble for taking pictures of this. Apparently it is okay take pictures of anything except the special exhibits. My bad.
After art, we found art in the form of food. We went to DMK Burger for what is a fantastic burger. I got the one that has bacon, a fried egg with runny yolk, pepper jack cheese. Oh man. The yolk was dripping down my neck.
After this day it was just a waiting game for Max to come. As you know, he came and with a vengeance! Thanks Jeff, Judes and Lynn for making the weight for Max so fun.

4 comments:

Scrumpestuous D said...

Wait until you get chased off by the Secret Service for trying to take a picture (true story!). Taking pics where you aren't supposed to is all part of being a new SLR owner.

Also, I saw an exhibit of On Kawara works once (the date guy), and I really liked it... of course I went with Amber so she ended up explaining it to me, typography and all.

Sparklebot said...

I like your snowy photography. My camera couldn't handle it, that's for sure.

I really wish we could come visit!

Pamsky said...

Art makes everything better, doesn't it? I loved that museum when we went last Thanksgiving.

Anonymous said...

I'm bummed that Scrumpestuous beat me to the ID of the date painting. Whatever. I guessed Ed Ruscha before googling it and finding out about On Kawara. It's totally a rip off of Ruscha, although I acknowledge that Kawara may feel otherwise.

I would ask who are these people in the photo, but the lady looks too much like Caitlin to leave the issue in doubt.

Finally, Side of Jeffrey, I know your FIL by reputation. He's a serious and respectable dude. Does he read your blog? Does he get you?