04 January 2010

Sleepin' Around The Hospital

Needless to say, once Max finally came to terms with the fact that he was no longer in the womb and that he was going to have to live his own life, he decided it was time to get some rest. And rest he did. That birth canal must have really taken something out of him because he was tuckered for a few days. We wheeled him up to the third floor where we would spend the next two day learning to care for his preciousness.
He was warmly welcomed by nurse Jackie and the other Evanston Hospital crew. They were great and helped us learn so much.
Occasionally between massive yawns and naps, we would get a half hour with Max wide awake and super curious about the world. I cannot get enough of every goobery face he makes.
This is definitely one of my favorite pictures taken of Max thus far. Later I will allow you to compare a picture of me to this picture so you can determine whether there is any likeness. What do you think? Does Max take after Jeff Daddy Mack?
Caitlin enjoyed free food while were there at the hospital, and it wasn't half bad. Particularly, we enjoyed a couple's dinner on the last night at the hospital. Cheesecake? Shrimp scampi? This can't be hospital food.
If you have experienced or heard anything about having a new baby, then you know all about the struggles of helping the baby learn to breastfeed. While we did have to give him a bottle of Caitlin once or twice, we were fortunate that Max was a quick learner and things are going well. Based on his diapers...he is getting fed. A lot.
The rest of the time? Loving him. Adoring him. Awkwardly staring at him. No wonder he didn't want to open his eyes too much. Would you if I was staring down at you like that?
I slept well in the hospital. We were given a corner room with a great view of the Baha'i temple out the window. We didn't get too much noisy foot traffic outside our door.
So much to adore.
Precious little eyes.
Then it was time to take him home. I was so excited to get out of the hospital...I was going a little stir crazy. The outfit we had brought to bring him home in was warm, but huge. He fits in only the smallest of outfits right now. I love his look here, like "seriously dad? You are going to photo this? I'm gonna 'drop' that camera as soon as I can walk."
We cut off his I.D. tags and confirmed that yes, he was ours.
And then we were ready to roll. I have had nightmares about driving a newborn home in a car, but I did not crash and we made it safe and sound. We love having him home and can't wait to introduce him to you all when you visit us! Thanks for all your support and kind comments!

11 comments:

TheTaffs said...

Oh my goodness Mulcock family. Your boy is so cute. You know a lot of newborns can be, well, a little squidgy looking for the first few weeks but your little Max is beautiful. Good work.

mandy said...

He is so cute! Congrats!!

Eric said...

That's awesome you guys. Who would have known, Jeff, that your offspring could look so cute and normal. When we had Lily in American Fork, I drove like 10 mph on the freeway back home to Provo. Scary stuff. Glad everyone's safe, healthy and happy.

Sparklebot said...

I am so glad Max has gotten to come home. Now the real scary stuff starts! I'm sure you guys will do great.

kell-bell said...

Congratulations, he's so cute! Caitlin, you look great! Good luck with nursing him, hopefully it will go smoothly for you, it was a challenge for us, but we made it through, with the help of a great lactation consultant.

Jana said...

This is true- we were both so freaked out to drive our firstborn home.
He's so cute! It almost looks like he has dark eyes? Congrats :)

nikki said...

Congratulations!! Your hospital experience was so different than mine and kind of makes me want to move to Chicago to have my next kid. NYC is not the place for birthing with comfort. He is adorable. Looking forward to more pics!

nensaburger said...

Why in the WORLD would you buy him a Pope outfit for the ride home? Aren't you guys Mormon or sumpin??

Side of Jeffrey said...

Nens, indeed we are. I thought it looked more like a chef outfit. He did just come out of the oven you know.

Jana, his eyes are currently dark blue like mine. I hear that changes though?

Hepworths said...

The Mulcock's are a family of 3! Little Max is absolutely perfect and Caitlin are you sure you just had a baby in that last pic, you seriously look too good. So happy for you guys, congrats!

Anonymous said...

So many comments to make, so little time. But, here goes: (1) Jeffrey: way to tell us how anxious you were to get out of the hospital. WHAT ABOUT CAITLIN? (2) That baby is very cute, and don't bother with the shots comparing him with you as a baby. Let's go with the assumption that he's rolling with Caitlin's genes out front. (3) He is great, so don't take offense when I say that in that third picture, he look a little like Yoda. (4)I hope you guys got out to the movies, dinner, and many other spur-of-the-moment events. That's over for, I'd say, about 16 years. (5)I appreciate the alliterative impact of Max's name.

Congratulations parentals.