04 January 2010

Gifting Gone Overboard? Never!

When I pulled the Baby Jesus ornament from our advent calendar, I knew it could only mean one thing - it was Christmas Day! Technically I was supposed to pull it on the 24th, but I forgot. Don't be mad.
I placed Jesus appropriately at the top of the tree and turned to see the bounty of presents before me. What would be in these beautiful boxes? Well, about 70% of them I already knew - but the other 30%! WHAT would be inside!!!??
I was really proud of us this year. We stayed in our apartment, so we tried to make it as festive and fun as possible. These are our felt Christmas trees. Each year we are going to let the kids cut out felt designs and pin them to the tree to decorate them. Obviously this won't take place for a few years, but this is the plan. And then the present opening was ON! I played master of ceremonies and started handing out gifts. I require that we watch each gift be opened - its a house rule. Lynn got this amazing sweater that he was obsessed with. Jeff got Superbad and Flight of the Concords seasons. Lucky!
My mom got me this pimped out CK coat which will make me the envy of all my future coworkers. I have to look hot at work - its the secret of making it in business. Another secret is putting out...but I don't plan on utilizing that tactic - so I'll stick with just being hot.More presents for Lynn? Wow. Lucky. He got books and heart monitors - all his dreams were coming true in one single Christmas.
That's not to say that Judes' dreams weren't coming true as well. She got this fly new Coach bag - a real one not from Chinatown.
Max also was a huge recipient of presents this year, even though he wasn't even born yet at the time. This blanket is super precious and was handmade by Kristin. It will keep him warm in our drafty apartment, even though Lynn worked so hard to try and take care of the many drafts. And clothes! He loves them all. I am excited to put him in his Penguin Brand onesie complete with precious pocket because I love their clothes. I have a nearly matching shirt that I can wear so we can be twinners! Thanks Aunt Ashley!
Oh, that wasn't all. Let's not forget cute books and this "here comes trouble" outfit that is likely going to be very accurate.
This gift is a Max and Caitlin gift. While walking around campus this fall, I started to see lots of fashionable women wearing sweaters that had built in zippers. They looked really cool - but were the zippers functional? I though, "wouldn't it be amazing if the zippers actually opened and then Caitlin could breast feed without taking off her sweater? Then she could wear it anywhere fashionably and still have functionality!" The Butler got busy designing and making a sweater that would do just that. This has buttons on the top and bottom so you can actually make the sweater open up however you want. Its awesome and Caitlin loves it. Homemade gifts are the best!
More gifts for me??? I GOT DJ HERO! My mom tricked me because I asked for DJ Hero for graduation and she said she would never give me that game. Nice work.
Michael gave Caitlin this cute jewelry holder that now sits on our dresser. He also gave her a cute necklace for the new home.
Stephoin got me four t-shirt from New York - one of which says "Happy Holidays" with a little skull wearing a Santa hat on it. I wore it proudly the rest of the day and will probably start wearing it again in October. For anyone who says Halloween is not part of the holiday season, you have my permission to punch that person right in the crotch.
Devoin and Shell gave us matching bike helmets. Now that we are parents, we are not allowed to die and leave Max parentless apparently. I agree. He is too cute to go orphan.
There were many more gifts, too many to discuss here - but thank you to anyone who hooked us up!!! This is the aftermath.
We later took a walk to the water and took a picture. Doesn't Lynn look like he loves the cold Chicago weather??? Trick question, he doesn't.
Jeff and I started working our mad skills at DJ Hero. I'm kind of a natural, I'll be honest.
And to top it off, we had family bonding time. Caitlin and I video chatted with the rest of the family having fun in Boise. Shell and Devoin kicked it in Kentucky. Although we were all separated, we felt their love through gifting and talk. Christmas - I love you.
Okay, more on Max to come.

1 comment:

Sparklebot said...

1) If Baby Max likes Penguin, Baby Max shall have Penguin. I am glad he liked his first. I hope many younger brothers will also be able to wear it.

2) I have that same tree-inspired jewelry holder. I've had it for years. It does an amazing job.

3) I love those felt trees! Did you make them? That would have been a super awesome Christmas craft for me to have been doing!