09 October 2009

Para-awesome Activity

Last night I was able to con some people into going and seeing the film Paranormal Activity with me in downtown Chicago. Actually, I didn't have to do much conning - about 10 people were really excited to go.

You may have read my post where I praised the director of this film for being able to scare people without relying on traditional Hollywood scare tactics. Well, last night was my chance to validate that statement.

I am happy to announce that this film was ridiculously awesome. While it definitely makes the audience jump - the focus of the fear is on true anxiety and uneasiness. Similar to Blair Witch in both style and "mode of fear," the film effectively kept a packed audience on the edge of their seats for one hour straight. When I say this film had nearly no effects, I'm not kidding. They scare you with sound, lighting and subject matter. Its massively impressive of a feat and I strongly recommend this film.

Warning - At least 20 people were congregated outside the theater at any given time due to fear and four of them puked. If ghosts or "whats in the closet" scares you - then this film will seriously mess you up.

In terms of the marketing campaign, it is working. The film just opened up in a few more theaters here and they filled three huge theaters on a Thursday night at midnight. Someone is going to be very rich this year - unfortunately it is probably Paramount and not the filmmakers.

GO SEE THIS MOVIE for Halloween!

No comments: