07 October 2009

Oh Great Idaho of Olde

Idaho. A freakin' magical place of wonder. After having a great time in east coast Idaho, I drove over to west coast Idaho to party with the Mulcock parentals. Our first day of freedom included a fantastic hike at Crooked River. Stephen and Mike will remember this as a core camping/fishing spot with dad growing up.Big D used to take us camping here and then we'd walk down Crooked River Trail to dad's most favorite fishing spot.
Behold! The glory! That little pool of water after the big rock was always teaming with rainbow trout. I still remember dad bashing their little brains out with some tool. Tender memories, really. Michael looks on majestically at the majesty.
Apparently they have extended the trail and built this big bridge over the water. Convenient for extending hiking. I wonder if this was someone's Eagle project? Seems too intense...
Some consider Idaho water the Fountain of Youth. Just in case they are right, we dipped our feeties in the water.
Speaking of youth - this was the end of the youth for this frog. A snake is swallowing this frog like its nobodies business. Idaho also can show you the harsh realities of life. Seriously - Idaho is teaming with lessons left and right.
Our next day's project (also my birthday) was to go golfing. Big D took us out for some clubbin' and showed us how to do it. I will never beat my dad at golf.
My form is not that bad...I just have a wicked slide. Probably because of my sexy sway in the swing.
Mike's short game was on fire, though I'm thinking he missed this putt. PS...Mike treats golf like the old days. He dresses up.
My birthday lunch involved the consumption of The Big Carl. I like to support new fast-food offerings, and the Big Carl is one I can't get to easily in Chicago.
Special indeed!
I consumed it with much vigor. Very tasty, I must say. I think Carl's Jr. is highly underrated. What a delicious establishment.
You know what else I like to consume? German chocolate cake!!! 31 years old deserves a special cake with many candles. You may wonder why I am getting my cake so early in the day. Its because I had a date that night with Built to Spill.
I went and saw Built to Spill for free downtown. It has been at least a decade since I saw B2S in Boise, their hometown. The rambunctious crowd of Boise High jocks added to the normally indie crowd that is associated with B2S. I think they only played one song from their new album that just came out YESTERDAY (go buy it, I did). I seriously cannot get enough of solid B2S concerts. They bring me joy - particularly on my bday. Unfortunately that is all the pictures I got that night. It was full of peeps and Mario Kart 64 and craziness.
Saturday was also action packed (as any day in Idaho is). We went bike riding down the greenbelt. Pam and Dave pose like the posers they are. I can't tell if my dad is yelling at me in this picture or not. He might have been.
Look at all the fun we're having!
You know what wasn't fun? The fact that my wheel was dragging against the bar the entire time. I guess that is what I get for riding my SISTERS BIKE that she got like 15 years ago. Seriously...my sister is 5'2". There is something wrong with this picture.
A successful day. We finished up just in time to hit an amazing meal at Red Robin and then head down to the Shakespeare Festival.



We do enjoy some good culture from time to time. I really had a great time with the parents and was fortunate that Caitlin let me stay a few extra days while she went back to work all pregnant and cute. We won't be going anywhere for Thanksgiving or Christmas, so it was nice to get some days in with the parentals and Mike. Thanks dudes.

2 comments:

Sparklebot said...

Cute. Your family always does so many activities. With my family it's shopping and games. That's all.

Michelle said...

I wish I could have been there... looks like you guys had an amazing time! You seriously rode my bike? It's pretty bad huh? Love all the pics!