29 October 2009

Heeding the Buzz

So Chicago has been completely buzztastic about a restaurant that opened up in September called XOCO. For example, here is a typical review by The Chicago Reader. When pretty much the only bad thing a person can say about a restaurant is that it has a ridiculous like 24 hours a day, then that is a restaurant I will try.Because it was downtown, I needed an excuse to go. Christine (Asian #1) and FIANCE!!!! Ryan were in town from New York, so I begged them to let us go. They had just had Frontera that week, so they were actually pretty excited to try a Rick Bayless low-price option. First let me say that it was so great to see these guys. I don't realize how much I miss the amazing friends I have in NYC until I see them...and then my little heart melts. We had a lot to talk about...and did so over our amazing meals.I went conservative because I was planning on having a meal with Caitlin later that night. I ordered the Vegetable Caldo, which is basically a stew type meal with lighter broth. Get this people: Woodland mushrooms, zucchini, potato-masa dumplings, black bean broth, spinach, avocado, Serrano chile for $10. Um, yes I will. I was really jealous of Christine's short rib red chili soup as well...ridiculously flavorful.And there is me. Wait, look at me. Stop looking at RICK BAYLESS in the background! I'm better looking, albeit less famous, accomplished or wealthy. Oh fine, look at Rick Bayless. You would. Christine almost erupted from excitement when she saw him. Serious, emotional eruption of adoration and lust. Cooks are so macho.

Caitlin and I will be going there this weekend with Trace Face. Caitlin has made that clear.

4 comments:

Side of Jeffrey said...

I forgot to mention that they brew fresh hot chocolate in house! They grind the beans dudes...and they'll mix in dulce de leche. What?

Ellen said...

I can't believe you saw him! I finally went to Frontera with some friends (without Scott), and it broke his heart because that was the first thing he wanted to do when we found out we were moving to Chicago. This new place looks awesome, but how do you pronounce it?

Side of Jeffrey said...

I believe it is pronounced after the Mexican sounding "Choco" - like chocolate.

Pamsky said...

Is this Cristine from your work in NYC?