29 June 2009

DJ Tanner's Chicago Set

Brig's mom emailed me the other day (we're tight like that) and asked if I would DJ a stake dance in southwest Chicago. My first reaction was HOLLA! I've always dreamed of being a DJ - I almost bought turntables and DJ lessons in New York a few times (I'm not kidding about that). But as soon as I realized what I was getting in to, I got nervous. We are talking about 50 12-18 year olds, all awkward and extremely diverse. To give you an example - here are the first three requests I got:

1. Chicken Noodle Soup by DJ Webstar
2. Any Bachata music (preferably the band Aventura)? The girl was EXTREMELY disappointed when I told her A) I don't know what Bachata is and B) I don't have any to play that night.
3. Wheel in the Sky by Journey

So, that should give you an idea as to what I was up against. I am proud to say that through hardcore research and some serious illegal downloading, I had about 90% of the songs requested (including Chicken Noodle Soup - which Caitlin actually had on her computer and I borrowed it...she is so gangsta, right?)

The night ended up going amazingly well in terms of church dances. The kids were out on the floor nearly the entire night, they danced a lot of the time, and they even clapped and cheered at specific songs. I felt like I had been the best DJ I could be to these kids in what could have been a very painful evening. For those interested, I have included my 3-hour set list below:

1. Kanye West - Heartless
2. Celia Cruz - Carnaval
3. Christina Aguilar - Candyman
4. Bon Jovi - Livin' on a Prayer
5. Kelly Clarkson - A Moment Like This
6. Black Eyed Peas - Boom Boom Pow (Club Version Clean)
7. Suavamente - Elvis Crespo
8. B52's - Love Shack
9. Soulja Boy - Turn My Swag On
10. David Archuleta - Crush
11. MIA - Paper Planes (this one I had to get permission on because it says the word "high" and has gunshot sounds. In the end, I got permission, and the kids thoroughly enjoyed)
12. La Bomba - Ricky Martin
13. Nick Lachey - This I Swear
14. Kid Cudi - Day 'n Nite (Crookers Remix)
15. Outkast - Hey Ya!
16. Estelle featuring Kanye West - American Boy
17. Tito "El Bambino" - El Amor
18. Soulja Boy - Kiss Me Through The Phone
19. Jonas Brothers - When You Look Me In The Eyes
20. Michael Jackson - Beat It
21. Lady Gaga - Just Dance
22. 3 Doors Down - Here Without You
23. Salome - Chayanne
24. Keri Hilson - Knock You Down
25. Kenny Loggins - Footloose (this actually got requested)
26. Green Day - She
27. Fergie - Big Girls Don't Cry (probably the most danced slow song)
28. DJ Webstar - Chicken Noodle Soup (this song was ignored by the white boys at first, but it soon became a top three song of the night with a huge circle formed for solo dancing and cheers)
29. Wake Me Up - Wham!
30. Tulile - Yo No Cojo Esa
31. Guns 'n Roses - Welcome to the Jungle (this song was the biggest loser of the night - I stopped it half way through because the dance literally died)
32. Bee Gees - Stayin' Alive
33. Black Eyed Peas - I Gotta Feeling
34. Michael Jackson - Billie Jean
35. Rihanna - SOS
36. Lifehouse - You & Me (this was a request from one of the leaders - it was her and her husbands song and they danced appropriately)
37. Beyonce - Single Ladies (one of the girls was kind of upset with me because I only played about 5 solid gangsta rap songs...she kept saying "that's not rap, that's R&B! DUH!...but she was happy when I played this song for some reason)
38. Shakira - Objection
39. Jumpin' - Destiny's Child (I was disappointed with how quickly I played this song after Beyonce...but I was distracted looking for the next song on one of my young men's iphone)
40. A Bachata Song - Will, a young man in my ward, came down for the last hour to help me. I had him look up "Bachata" on Rhapsody on his iPhone and this was the first song that came up...so we played it to satisfy the previously mentioned Bachata girl. She was very happy and immediately came to request another one...which I turned her down)
41. Madonna - Super Pop
42. The Fray - Over My Head
43. Nelly Furtado - Maneater
44. Michael Jackson - Thriller
45. Alphaville - Forever Young (I appropriately announced that this would be the last slow song of the night)
46. Lady Gaga - Just Dance (this was by far the MOST popular song of the night. After 2 minutes of cheering "one more song!" I got permission from the powers that be to play a song. The youth appropriately moshed and the beginnings of crowd surfing began before it was shut down by the suits)

In the end, I would just like to remind you that if you are ever at a dance and someone is DJ'ing, remember, it is okay to make requests. In fact, make one. But don't assume that the DJ session is all about you. Some people want to hear Chicken Noodle Soup, other want Journey, and yet others want Britney Spears (sadly), so you have to be okay when the DJ plays that song you want but not 10 songs you want. If you remember that, I will respect you and I certainly won't give you attitude at my party.

6 comments:

j said...

I appreciate your humility in shutting down the GnR when no one was dancing. I feel like most DJs at the church dances I've been to don't seem to care if people are dancing or not.

Carl Hardie said...

Yo no cojo esa was approved? That is awesome, I guess there were not too many Spanish speakers?

Tamara said...

We need to have our own dance party when you come into town. Start making a new play list, not that this one doesn't totally rock!!

Pamsky said...

You and Brig's mom must be tight if you are playing DJ for her. The kids must have loved you because I have chaperoned at way too many dances to count and lots of the time, kids are not dancing.

Bek said...

this post got a sincere laugh out loud from me. you rock. literally.

Amber Henrie said...

Wow - I'm surprised you could play Candyman. Dude - after all these years of knowing me and you don't know what Bachata is? I love Bachata! I'll have to teach you and Caitlin and the new one next time I see you. Oh, and if you ever need any more I have a few good ones I could send you.