23 January 2011

2010 Just Rocked, and Bounced, and Banged

Music. I just really like it. I love listening to music at pretty much any chance I can get. I'm the guy at the conservative healthcare company that is listening to his iPod and gets asked "so, do you ever work?" at least once a day. Little do they know - music helps me work! It helps me do a lot of things...drive, work, workout, clean the house, live, breath...little things like that.

So during my time at Northwestern I took a little break from listening to new music in order to save money. But now that I have a job again, Caitlin agreed it was time for me to get back to listening to new albums. With that in mind, its also time for me to return to making annual top 10 lists that no one reads! You're not even reading what I'm typing right now, are you. ARE YOU!!!!


Either way, here they are from my most favorite to number 10:

#1: James Blake - Klavierwerke, Cmyk and The Bells Sketch


These three albums are really short concept albums - a generous gift to our world from James Blake in 2011 as we all wait anxiously for his self-titled album in February 2011. I listened to these albums over, and over, and over again - trying to figure out why I like them so much and why when I don't listen to them for a day or two, I start to miss them. I determined that they are all very interesting in different ways. I enjoy that they function as concepts and carry a different feeling with each. Klavierwerke feels very lonely and empty, where as The Bells Sketch is full of energy and stress. I recognize that they are not for everyone, but I recommend you give them a chance - or at least listen to his album when it comes out. I'm not sure where this guy is going in the future, but I can only imagine it is up.

#2. Sleigh Bells - Treats
I am a sucker for banging music. I love it. This has bang and shred - all sung by a girl. When I heard about this band, I knew I was going to like them. And I did. Almost every day for months. Caitlin and I saw them in concert at 2 in the morning on a Wednesday night when I had the flu. That's how we showed our gratitude for a fun album.

#3: Beach House - Teen Dream
I don't really know if I'm even close on the intent of this album, but I just find it so warm and hopeful that I keep coming back for more. The singer's voice is a delight to me and is accompanied by equally enjoyable music. I find the songs interesting both sonically and vocally. This was a go-to album for me whenever I was feeling down or alone. (yeah, yeah, you are thinking I don't have those feelings. You might be wrong.)

#4: The Morning Benders - Big Echo
From the second I heard the first song on this album, I knew it would be a big one for me in 2010. I'm so glad it came out in the first quarter so I could enjoy it all year long. I had been listening to A LOT of techno in the months preceeding this album, and this one brought me back running to

#5: M.I.A. - MAYA and Vikki Leekx Mixtape

Maybe my most controversial pick of the year simply because so many critics pooped all over MAYA when she released this album. I still stand that this album was doomed critically simply because she pulled the prank on the New York Times Sunday Magazine chick - essentially a front on their entire profession. This album was bangin', fun, interesting and enjoyable from The Message all the way down to the end. Additionally, she showed how much more she's got in her with a super fun free mixtape that came out on New Years Eve. Its a great companioon to the album because she uses a lot of it in there. If you stayed away from this because of reviews, do yourself a favor and don't be dumb.
#6: Arcade Fire - The Suburbs
I was the dumb one on this one. I listened to this album and though, "hmm, booooooring." I was so extremely disappointed that I started making sure I wasn't the only one. Luckily, I wasn't. I couldn't find anyone who really liked it. But then, suprisingly, a few days later I wanted to hear it again. Then again. Before you knew it, I was listening to this CD every day. I checked in and SURPRISE - so were alot of my friends. While I still don't think it is always the most interesting CD from a music perspective, the words are phenominal, interesting and meaningful to me in a way I just couldn't deny.
#7: Sufjan Stevens - The Age of Adz
An electronica Sufjan album? Yes, please. Maybe I could have done without so much repition of the words in this album, but sonically it is bomb and I just wanted to lick it up.
#8: Baths - Cerulean
Part of me wants to make fun of Baths - a weird guy making experimental electronic music in his basement in the dark. But this album takes an emerging genre of smart beat music and makes it even more interesting than Flying Lotus, which is saying a lot considering how much press Flying Lotus got this year for his work. Baths album is more focused and to me one of the best ones that came out in the last two years from this type of work.
#9: Flying Lotus - Cosmogramma
Despite what I just said about Flying Lotus, I can't deny how great this album is. It does go all over the place sometimes, but that is part of what makes it great. The collaboration with Thom Yorke is fantastic and I can bang Do the Astral Plane all day in my car. Flying Lotus is creative and versitile, so he certainly is nobody to mess with. Believe the hype, this album is awesome.
#10: Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
Speaking of hype, here is another one. While there were some decent rap albums that came out this year (Das Racist, Big Boi, Felt/Aesop Rock), nothing got close to the creativity of Kanye on this album. The album title says it all for this one - a great dichotamy between good and evil, joy and pain, fact and fiction.
Some runners up were Deadmau5 for finally producing an entire album that you can listen to and showing that he can extend a little further outside of his narrow focused dance beats and Deerhunter for a top notch rock album that caught my attention again and again. 2010 was a great year.
Looking forward to 2011, I'm hoping to enjoy James Blake, Panda Bear, Justice, BEASTIE BOYS (YES YES YESS YES YSE YES), Depressed Buttons, Iron and Wine (we got tickets for their show in Savannah, Georgia!) and maybe even a decent returns from Bright Eyes.
Thanks for indulging me.
Jeff

4 comments:

Bek said...

kanye was my #1 of 2010. just in case you were wondering.

nensaburger said...

Nice choices. Agreed on the concentration at work for needing music. Thank god we have Sirius XMU playing all day

Side of Jeffrey said...

I was wondering Bek. Remember when I let you listen to a few tracks from the Arcade Fire album in Hawaii? That was awesome. Also, that was when I was in my hater phase. Lame.

Unknown said...

Glaring omissions:
- High Violet
- Lisbon
- Broken Bells

**I know -- this is your list. Not my list...