29 December 2009

Kooks and their Cookies

Back to holiday reporting! While Caitlin went to the gym on Christmas Eve, I worked it hard by starting to make a billion sugar cookies. Clearly, I have my priorities straight. I'll be snookered if a Christmas goes by that I don't get fat on classic family sugar cookies.
Ah yes. Baked and ready to go.
Then we packed up the van (thanks Wards!) and headed to Orange for a little brunch action. We ordered the frushi (fruit sushi) to give it a whirl...it was okay. They should stick to what they do best - which is artery clogging breakfast foods.
The padres patiently await the food goodness. Please note that I have become increasingly unpopular with my family now that I have my new camera. No one wants to look me in the face for fun pictures.
Max is always game for a shot though. We played trivial pursuit while we waited for our food and Lynn and Jeff (brother-in-law Jeff) showed their mental prowess by smoking me in every single questions - over and over and over again.
But it was cool because then I showed them my stomach prowess by consuming four stacks of pancakes covered in different sugary goodnesses. This included egg nog cream, white chocolate with peppermint and Caramel glaze.
The food is so good. Judes had eggs benedict with pesto.
Then we packed up and went over to the Museum of Science and Industry in Hyde Park (MSI). This is a gigantic submarine indoors. This was probably my favorite part of the museum, learning about this monster.
Lynn, who is a war junky, loved it as well. Jeff and Lynn practiced their submarine controlling skills and proved relatively good.
Cute.
MSI has funny mirrors! I like Caitlin's pregnant belly in this funny mirror, as well as my legs.
They had cities made of Lego's as well, which was impressive. My favorite was a Frank Lloyd Wright house made out of Lego's. Very detailed, with waterfall and everything.
MSI is known for their impressive Christmas display each year. They have like 60 Christmas trees decorated from around the world. This was the Japanese one, which was my favorite.
More gigantic things indoors!
Caitlin, do you choo choo choose me to be your husband?
And who can resist a chick hatchery? I can't. No I can't. I made the family go through the entire genetics section so I could look at the cute chicks.
Evil ghosts Caitlin and Judes. They glow in evil blueness!
Then we went home and cooked Christmas Eve dinner! We had shrimp with brussel sprouts, garlic potatoes and other goodness. It was an amazing dinner and the shrimp was divine. Not the chipotle sauce that Lynn likes to put on all meals. We made sure we had some to suit his needs.
Our finalized stockings were hung by the chimney with care.
We talked to Caitlin's sister Kristin and family that live in Singapore. It was Christmas morning in Singapore, so we new Santa had at least made it half way around the world and would be heading to the US soon enough.
Then it was cookie frosting time! Look how much fun they're having!
I demonstrate how amazing a classic Christmas cookie can be when done right. (as a quick report, I have now eaten about 30-40 of these cookies myself in like 3 days. Christmas report starts soon - unless interrupted by Max! Please interrupt it Max!

6 comments:

nensaburger said...

These pictures are begging for an obnoxious person in the background

Sparklebot said...

Christmas just isn't Christmas without delicious sugar cookies EVERYWHERE to make us fat.

Side of Jeffrey said...

I agree with both of these statements.

TheTaffs said...

Caitlin! Mady is sitting here reading over my shoulder and she totally knows your neice in the picture! She lives in Singapore too! What a fun connection!

Side of Caitlin said...

Ty! That is crazy! I had no idea that Mady was living in Singapore. My sister and fam are in Bali for the next week or so but I will be sure to make the connection with them once they get back.

Michelle said...

First, the cookies look so good. Second, the chicks are crazy adorable. Third, Caitlin's pregnant shirt is super cute. And fourth, the finished stockings are precious.