27 November 2009

Buttcrack of Dawn With The Freaks

I told my friend Don that I had never woken up at the butt crack of dawn to see the mayhem of Black Friday. While I had gone to Best Buy at 9am before, I didn't see what the big deal is. He mocked me and forced me to get up at 4:30am today to experience it for myself. This is the beginning of the line of 500+ people at Target at 4:59am. They gave out totes to the first 300 (we got one inside even though they were officially "out"). When the doors open, people stormed in. By the time we got to the door, they were sold out of the super-special TVs that they had on sale. Good thing I didn't come for a TV.
Seriously, the line was all the way around the building by the dumpster.After we were done at Target and Best Buy, we moved over to the 7am open of Office Max. While the line was significantly shorter (maybe 70 people), they still meant business.
Here is what I learned about Black Friday. Unless you plan on getting up at 4am, don't go. All the deals in the circulars sell out within 30 minutes. But if you get there in time, the deals are pretty amazing. Also, you have to strategically plan your stores based on what you want the most and what is the best deal, and then you just have to commit. And if you think you are going to go at 8am and get a deal...save your morning and just buy it on Amazon. But I am proud of a few deals that I got that will remain nameless at this time.

4 comments:

Jenna{Mommy in Manhattan} said...

WOW! I can't believe you guys got up that early! I myself have never done Black Friday! Maybe next year.

Jana said...

That ain't nothin. Senor Atwood went to Best Buy at 10:30 PM and slept in a camping chair with a little blanket ALL night long until 5 AM for a computer. Blows my mind.

Sparklebot said...

Teenbot and I went to Target at 6 a.m. and still got all the deals we were hoping for. I got my $19 5.5 quart Crock pot and $12 Queen-sized air mattress.

Actually, I lie. They were out of the $1.50 bath towels I was hoping to score. But, I felt ok about it.

They still had T.V.s too. But, we clearly couldn't afford that, even on super sale!

nensaburger said...

I planned to do the same thing just so I could blog about it. I was smart instead and slept for 15 hours