26 May 2009

Rock Lobster - Karaoke Style!

A few weeks ago Caitlin and I threw a party. Several years ago I had been instructed in the sweet ways of Xtreme Karaoke by Smash, and I took a liking to the practice. Xtreme Karaoke is similar to karaoke, except you are singing while you have your iPod on. This means that the audience can only hear your voice, not the music. It is great because it leads to high levels of shame, particularly for those who easily feel shame (aka, not myself). For years I have wanted to have an Xtreme Karaoke couples duel - and I finally got my chance.
While I do not have video posted today, I will be posting select moments from the performances once the quarter is over...its finals weeks people!First up was Jelly and Kim. You would think they were performing Sabatoge by Beastie Boys because of his mustache...but really they are working Copacabana by Barry Manilow.Next up was Lauren and Jason with Don't Go Breakin' My Heart by Elton John and RuPaul. These guys get the best effort award because I don't think either one of them was terribly excited about this event, but they came and did it anyway to show me some support. Additionally, they brought ridiculously good treats with them. Bravo.Next up - Alissa and Matt. I'll be honest, I still don't know what song they sang...but these guys put in some serious practice time to plan out a very theatrical piece. It included paddling as seen above. Using kazoos.And confessions of love.Up next - Mulcocks. I think the picture above says everything about our performance. It screams energy. It screams amazing costumes. It screams shoulder pads and Jeff's nipples. We performed Girl You Know Its True by Milli Vanilli. We did extensive research through music videos and live performances on stage to mimic some of their most classic moves.Jumping in place.Side swaying with the look.And the power ending (please note Caitlin's microphone power punch to the sky!)You may be wondering - who is this goof all alone without a partner. You are wrong - he brought his wife.See - there she is. Chris performed the Elephant Medley from Moulin Rouge - both parts - all by himself. Heather had some friends come into the airport last minute, but Chris never drops an opportunity to prove his musical prowess. "WE CAN BE HEROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOES!!!!" Hahaha, classic.While Don and Liz were both pretty sick, they still showed up to perform Stick Shifts and Safety Belts by Cake. If you'll notice, they used visual aids by playing Cars on the big screen. That gave it an extra touch of love.Patrick's duo buddy bailed on him last minute, but he still came and selected a song off the iPod. He'll have to remind me in the comments, but I can't remember the name of the song. It was passionate and about love making, I do remember that. It gave him ample opportunities to wink and make suggestive smiles. I was kind of hoping for some butt slaps in there, but not this time.Finally - Geoff and Erin. These guys took home the grand prize. Lest you forgot, this was a competition and at the end ballots were cast. There was no question that they would go home victorious after an astounding performance of Rock Lobster by the B52's. Elements from the music video were executed with precision. Sometimes taking a risk is dangerous, but in this situation it paid off big time. Rock Lobster was no easy performance, but it was done perfectly here. MORE COWBELL!
While some people wouldn't let me video their performances, I hope to have what I have available in about 2 weeks. It was a momentous night, full of thrills and chills. I wish you could have been there...if anything to see me jumping around in a cut-off T. That would have been your lucky day.

3 comments:

SweetAbbs said...

You guys are hilarious! Wish we lived closer.

smith fam said...

me and nats would have destroyed the competition with some slammin salt n peppa up in your grill and don't try and deny it. Jeff can confirm our greatness - Caitlin (one day you shall partake of our mastery)
Mikey

Beckie said...

how fun!!!
looks like a great night.
can't wait to "hear" it too!