17 May 2011

Like a Mormon, I'm On a Mission




Every year that a new Beastie Boys album comes out is a special year for me. I really thought 2009 was going to be that year. Not only was their new album Hot Sauce Committee Part 1 coming out during my birthday week, but I had tickets to see them for the first time in both Chicago AND Los Angeles. Then the cancer announcement came out and for a year it seemed all was lost. Album release? Cancelled. Concert tour? Cancelled. Devastation? Yes.

But I can always trust Ad Rock, Mike D and MCA to bounce back, and they really did. They released the album, now entitled part two for reasons unknown, and I hope a tour will happen in the next two years. While this is not my favorite BBoys album of all time (can anything ever touch Paul's Boutique?) it is certainly a great CD. For Beastie Boy lovers like myself, it is just another precious gift. I think Pitchfork gave it a respectable and fair review...but can I just say that I love to listen to Nonstop Disco Power-pack, Make Some Noise, and Too Many Rappers? Mmm, delicious.

When pondering what I love about the Beastie Boys I discover that it is the pure childishness of their approach. Here are a group of dudes that like making the music they like to make, and in a way that makes them happy. I really don't think they aim to please anyone but themselves. If you have been a long time fan, then you are in on the joke. If not, you probably won't get it. For example is their new video, Fight For Your Right (Revisited)...available for free on Hulu! That thing is chockfull of old school Beastie Boys references and inside jokes. If you don't get them, then it is just a okay funny video with a few great moments. But when
Caitlin came in the room to me watching it, she said my face was "beaming.". Yes, it's a great year for music.

No comments: