11 November 2010

Let's Hear Those Sleigh Bells Jingling




A lot has been said and written about Sleigh Bells this year. They had a ridiculous amount of hype (well, at least for an independent band) and then an album got released with equally favorable reviews. I bought, listened and enjoyed, then repeated like 3,000 times since the album came out. Here's the deal. There isn't anything particularly amazing about them that deserves critical acclaim. What they got is the perfect combination for my happiness. They got bangin' bass drops, catchy and deep guitar riffs, and silly yet awesome singing from a cool chick. That's all it takes to make me love you. So Sleigh Bells, I love you. Also, Caitlin loves you, so that makes listening to your album even easier and more enjoyable.

With mixed live reviews from friends, we knew we had to see them for ourselves. What???? A midnight show on a Wednesday? We decided it was still worth it. Our neighbor woke up and came down to sleep on our couch at 11:15 so we could head out (thanks Kathy!). We got there at midnight and there was a line around the block...a strange site at 12:15 at night. We got in and settled in at our spot about 15 feet from the front. We decided to not fight for the front because I had been super sick and skipped LCD Soundsystem the night before. The opening dude made me laugh and I really enjoyed his wacky music and strange stage dancer. But ultimately I was just ready to see what SB had to offer me.

Sleigh Bells came on at 1:15 and proceeded to fly through their 35 minute album. They were fun, they loved their audience, and they sounded great. I couldn't ask for anything more from them. They played a new song that I really liked. They drove the crowd wild with Infinity Guitars and Kids. The sold out crowd responded the whole hour with love and were satisfied when they exited at 2am. So was I. If you don't listen to Sleigh Bells, try them. If you did and didn't like the album, try again with less expectations for the best band of the decade and you may find that they are just a lot of fun.

4 comments:

Liz Jessop Wortley said...

I feel so deceived by your blog title ... I was hoping it was going to be a Christmas post! :( Oh well, looks like you had a fantastic time!

Sparklebot said...

Is she wearing Max's pants?

Side of Caitlin said...

Good eye sparklebot. That made me laugh out loud. Jeff failed to mention that those shorts are for Physical Therapy to help his hips.

Side of Jeffrey said...

Yes! That's why I chose this picture! So glad that came through....