16 April 2009

Thus Begins Concert Season

Last December I noticed that the Presets were coming to Chicago. Their album, Apocalypso, was one of my favorite albums of 2008 and definitely my favorite dance album of the year. While I enjoyed their previous album Beams, Apocalypso built on all the best aspects of Beams and made it completely danceable on all levels. So, Caitlin bought me some tickets for Christmas.The day finally arrived and we headed down to Metro for the 9pm show. The opening band was Golden Filter, which was not entirely bad but they definitely lacked the creativity and knowledge of music that a more mature dance producer would display. The best part of their performance was when they covered the White Stripes "The Hardest Button to Button" from Elephant. I actually might have liked this version of the song more than the original - it really translated great into techno. In between performers we took time to pose for a pic or two. I could hardly contain my excitement.The Presets finally emerged. They started out solid with great songs like "Talk Like That" and "A New Sky." While it was obviously great and Caitlin and I took to getting our groove on, I started to wonder if this concert was just going to be a live version of their CD with little remix action nor surprises. I played right into their hands. Anyone who loves attending a solid techno/dance concert should know that halfway through the concert the band will start building the energy and excitement all the way to the final song. Just listen to Justice's "A Cross The Universe" for a classic example.
This was the case here. The Presets slowed down the action with a fantastic performance of "Aeons" and then launched into a killer remix of my favorite song "If I Know You." Then they just went crazy from there with high charged and intermixing versions of "Yippyo-Ay" and "This Boy's In Love." By this time the concertgoers were losing their minds in complete craziness. This is my favorite part - when everyone loses their ability to maintain composure and even the most reserved of individuals begins shaking hardcore booty. Even the Hipstinos* started losing it
(*Note: Hipstinos are a new group of people I had never seen before at a concert until tonight. Hipstinos are Hispanics who ascribe to hipster type dress and attitude. For some reason they had occupied the entire front section of the theater and would not budge. Curious)I never get any good pictures during the awesome moments because I am too busy sweating on people and dancing. They mixed in some hits from Beams and then finished up with "My People" - at which point the crowd when insane. When they finished that song my ears sounded like a busted speaker as everyone roared for more. You could even see the band debate whether it was worth it to follow the traditional procedure of leaving the stage and then coming back for an encore. While they followed tradition, they were only gone for about 20 seconds before returning.
Caitlin and I were extremely pleased with the concert, to say the least. While the CD can never match the energy of the concert, I strongly suggest you give Apocalypso a few listens if you have not already.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Apocalypso has become a regular during gym time for me. Thanks for giving it to your bro. -Feef

Side of Jeffrey said...

YES! Feef rocks Apocalypso! I didn't know if you had taken a liking to that one. I'm really glad. I think it takes about 2 listens to really relize what an amazing album it is.