30 December 2011

Tunes Stood By Me in 2011

I'll be honest. I don't know what I would have done without music in 2011. Never in a year have I needed music as much as I needed it this year. There were my two cross country drives to and from Florida. There was my shoulder injury, then surgery, and subsequent 6 month recovery. There was hours and hours of commuting on trains and buses to work. There was weeks and months spent wondering what I am supposed to be doing with my life and times of some honest to goodness depression this year. Again, never have I needed music more than in 2011.

Thank heaven's it was a good one. I'll make sure to do an official review of my top 10 favorite albums and songs of the year - but above is a glimpse of some of the albums that I found worthy of my dollars. Each one found me at the right season - from James Blake in my surgery, The Antlers and Weeknd in my recovery, Beastie Boys in my low times, to M83 to push me through those first few weeks of uncertainty back in Evanston.

And concerts weren't so shabby either. The Ultra Music Festival, Iron and Wine in Savannah, Mates of State, Youth Lagoon, James Blake, Butthole Surfers and the mind blowing good bye to LCD Soundsystem.

2011 really was a great year for my ears.

2 comments:

Bek said...

um, nothing made me happier than singing in the car with you guys from miami to ft lauderdale this year. remember how mala didn't know who the beatles were? that was awesome.

Side of Jeffrey said...

Oh I remember. "John Lennon, is he in that movie Valentines Day?"