14 April 2011

Pow Pow-erful Last Hoorah

The fact is, Briggie wrote an extremely fulfilling review of not only LCD Soundsystem's final concert at Madison Square Gardens. It captured his experience living out what was a wonderful era of exciting music and even more exciting concert experiences. So why would you read this blog when you can read his post at THIS LINK RIGHT HERE? I guess I'll briefly share with you my experience with LCD Soundsystem. I was sitting at my desk in New York in 2005, reading a copy of SPIN magazine. I was about to take a trip to Utah to visit my brother Mike and as is customary, I needed to buy a new CD for my flight. I have been doing this since I was 14. I read a very small and almost unnoticeable review for an album by a band called LCD Soundsystem. The short review was glowing and the music sounded intriguing - and it had come out THAT DAY! What fortune! I took the train after work to Virgin Records in Times Square and purchased my copy of their self titled album. That started my love for James Murphy and the fun that he brought to great music. Mike and I loved it all during my visit. Later I found out that Briggie had gone to their concert in both Chicago and NYC. I know I was out of town for that first NYC show - or maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention to Time Out. Either way, I was miffed. So when they returned to play again later that summer, I was there. Brigham's glowing review had sparked my interest. When I get asked what are three of my top favorite concert moments of my life my response will always include watching LCD Soundsystem perform "Yeah" (both 2005 and 2006). It is the most amazing experience to have a thousand of your closest friend lose themselves completely for 9 minutes of coordinated and loving mayhem. I saw them again with my girlfriend Caitlin in 2006. I had introduced her to the band and she was loving their new album Sounds of Silver - particularly All My Friends and Someone Great. I won't go into the near disaster of leaving her ID at home (my fault, 100%), but it was an amazing night and our love grew. When we heard that LCD was playing their final show in NYC, we jumped on it immediately. It was the greatest excuse we could ever think of to fly up and visit. The day of the show I went and had a t-shirt made: Fitting - and it matched the black and white theme LCD had requested for the evening.
Lovers - joined by their love for LCD. Also, their love for each other.
But how could we not bring friends? Brigham was of course there - he is a mandatory person when I'm watching LCD perform. No question. Tracy, Cat and Julie were there as well.
The concert? Exactly what it needed to be. It was an opportunity for us to sit and honor a group of people that had given so much to us. We heard our favorite songs. We heard songs that we had never heard but obviously excited the band. Mostly, we just got caught up in the reality that this was it. This was the last time we would be together watching James and crew perform. And it was okay. A lot had changed since 2005 in our lives...but we'll always have those experiences to turn back to.


Thanks Brigham and Tracy and Caitlin for getting caught up in all that with me.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Remember Virgin Records in Times Square? You make 2005 sound like it was 20 years ago.