16 February 2012

In and Out of New York

Last weekend I was lucky enough to sneak in a quick business trip out east in CT, which provided me the option of training down and spending a night or two in the NYC (thanks Caitlin)! I hate such short trips cause there are so many people I want to see, and such little time. But I got to hang out with Stephen and a few others over ridiculous meals.


It really kicked off Friday night at Momofuku Noodle Bar with Christine and Ryan. The above picture is of me eating Duck Salad (which was mind blowing, mouth-gasm good). I sent this to Michael just to rile him up. He just loves his ducks.


Feef and I tried to imagine these gigantic bowls of noodles in our belly, but couldn't. Somehow, it all ended up in there though. Thanks to Christine and her extreme passion for the kimchi stew, I left mad satisfied.


Do not mess around with this kimchi. Its hot, in all connotations.


It was great to kick it with by homies C and R. They are married, adorable, and make me laugh til my cheeks hurt. I still miss working with Christine every single day.


Saturday morning, Stephen and I had a special treat lined up. M. Wells, a once über hot now not in operation due to a lease issue, decided to open in another space for one day to sell a crazy brunch of goodness. I got very limited reservations. We got to Long Island City and joined our 80 person line for what would become a 3 hour extravaganza of food.


It started with a pork shoulder pâté, homemade rolls, shrimp fritters with Dijon mustard, and 2 inch thick bacon. Two inch thick people. Bacon never tasted so right.


Then we went south of the border for Huevos Rancheros, with beef, poached eggs, sour cream, beans.


Then we flew to Europe for a breakfast pizza, including ham chunks, poached eggs, artichoke, and I think some heaven was sprinkled in there.


Then we went fast food...with breakfast sandwiches. Pickled green tomatoes, sausage/ham, and some mad crazy good greasy buns. Oh, and egg, of course.


Here is me stuffing more and more food in my face. The DJ in the back spun songs appropriate to each course. My ears like to be in sync with my stomach. Eating at this event felt like we were newcomers to a private neighborhood party. Almost everyone there knew the chefs, lived in LIC, or had a connection to the restaurant. Then there was us.


Veal encrusted breakfast cake thing with pesto sauce and red potatoes inside. This one was a surprise hit for me.


Dessert included cannolis with hazelnut cream and peanut butter and jelly ice cream. At first I was confused at PB&J for breakfast, then I realized it was almost 2pm. Our breakfast started at 10am. Yes, we ate for more than three hours. We walked in a near coma back to the train.

It was a morning of amazing food, great conversation between brothers, and overall warmth and joy. And it wasn't the end...more to come.

1 comment:

Brittany said...

How can you eat like that and never gain weight? I'm jealous. For reals. Yummm