16 June 2010

Pimp Max's Ride

You've seen this before, right? Need a reminder? WATCH THE VIDEO! Anyway, that carriage is actually ours. Caitlin and I picked it up for free at a garage sale. It's a truly vintage baby carriage from the '60s, not unlike the one seen in the epic, but messed up, film Rosemary's Baby. The only problem? It's old, rusting, and starting to brown inside.
See what I'm saying? Well, that doesn't stop people like myself and D Wo. All the way back last December we got the idea that we needed to Pimp Max's Ride - before he was even born!
D Wo was pumped to be a part of the transformation. We started by sanding off all the rust from the metal and preparing it for paint.
We chose shiny metal paint to give it a certain glow. I don't think our neighbors really loved us doing this in the basement, but whatever. After about 3 or 4 coats, it was looking amazing. We also repainted the wheels white.
To truly pimp this ride, we needed to bling it out. By then D Wo had moved to Minneapolis, so I was on my own from now on. I bought large faux diamonds and glued them on tight to the wheels.
Bling bling, money ain't a thing for max. I figured this would give it the glow I was hoping for.
But bling bling isn't enough...Max needed to ride in comfort. I was given a big slab of egg crate padding which I cut up to precision. I laced in the interior of the carriage with the softest padding ever.
Awesome. Now I could cover this up with any blanket of my choice and he'd be on the cushiest surface ever.
I also added some dope mirror rims to the wheels for extra pimpness.
And for me, I resurfaced the handle to keep my hands soft and sans callous.
I had this all done by February, but we decided to wait for better weather and for D Wo to return in order to take it for the virgin run. We were ready. We put Max inside and he was instantly loving his life.
The grills and wheels were shiny and bright...blingin' in the noonday sun.
Max was promised cush...and he got cush.
Instantly the coolest dad in Evanston, hands down.
Thanks D Wo for all the help and support. Thanks Caitlin for letting me do crazy projects and spending money on random stuff. Your welcome Max for building you the best ride in town. My next steps? Add a light for the inside of the carriage for night walks and maybe a Mercedes Benz logo on the front. We'll see.

2 comments:

Amber said...

That is so cool! I love it!

Sparklebot said...

Love it. Tots jealous.