31 July 2011

Can I Get That Truck With a Side of DZANG BOY

Me thinks that looks like a food truck. Well me, you are correct. It is a food truck. One of many that I would experience along with friends at the Fort Lauderdale Food Truck Extravaganza last Wednesday night! The trucks! The food! The joy! Caitlin and I trucked our booties down to the plaza to meet up with some friends and get fat on goodness cooked in confined spaces of happiness.Mel was there, sans husband (but with her son...so we got a 2/3 family showing). She stands in front of The Good Stuff truck, which was mostly a fusion approach to Venezuelan Arepas.Kim and Bubba also made it, always psyched to get their grub on.The Fish Box had a truck. The Fish Box is apparently some extremely popular restaurant in Miami that serves seafood and has a truck for events such as this. It might have been the only official restaurant truck there. I think there were probably about 20 trucks in total with a surprisingly diverse food base.For example - Dr Pepper braised brisket??? Hola crabbits!Caitlin got fish tacos, which she was cravin' something FIERCE. They were extremely tasty and to her liking. One thing we didn't like was our very long wait times at these trucks. I can't entirely blame it on crowds, though it was a full house that night. I was just surprised how unready many of the trucks were for the lines that formed at their windows. If this were a lunch situation, I'd have been pissed.I went to Ms. Cheezious and had me a blue cheese, bacon and green onion grilled cheese sandwich on sour dough bread. MAMA CITA I LOVED IT! I basically almost started crying when I tasted the cheese, bacon and green onions all in one bite. Heaven would have trouble producing a better tasting sandwich.I also got an Indian Curry Arepa, which was pretty good but a poor choice on a 95 degree, 99% humidity evening. It was hot and hefty, and just not as appetizing given the circumstances. On a cold Chicago day I would have slurped that sucka up.Mel, on the other hand, was wise and made it to the shaved ice truck for a Tiger's Blood shaved ice before the crazy crowds appeared. Honestly, that was all anyone needed that day. Great event, and I love that the world of food trucking is blowing up across this great nation.

1 comment:

Brittany said...

So sad we missed this. I feel like you should do this again and have us tag along.