01 October 2008

The Baracky Shrimp Is High In Demand

Why are people lining up outside of West Allis Central High School in Wisconsin?


Why are D-Wo and El Wo so excited that their faces might burst?Because we were at an honest-to-goodness Obama rally! Okay, not to skew your perception of our awesome, it was a Michelle Obama based rally (I believe Barack was up in Green Bay). She was there to rally the women of Milwaukee in support of a women's week in that area.
Above is Caitlin's brother Jeff. Jeff has been working for Obama for quite a while now and is ferociously living the next several weeks organizing and rallying behind events like this for the campaign. I have to say, they pulled off a very well organized event that had all the right size, order, and energy that a good rally should have. It was great seeing him in action.
He even took time out of his busy schedule to say hello and take us to our reserved seats. So posh, I know.
Michelle arrived and the crowd went nuts, as you would expect from any group of people who come out to see a politician speak. She was very well-spoken in her discourse and came off very real and in-touch. Although her speech was based in the type of rhetoric you would expect from someone amidst a campaign, she seemed dedicated to the ideals of which she spoke. AND - she didn't speak for a billion hours, which we appreciated. Overall, two thumbs up.

And in the case of the lucky people behind in the podiums behind her, a standing ovation on multiple occasions.
Nifty signs were passed out in droves with the recently revised slogan: "Change we need" With my face there, the sign should have read: "Nose plastic surgery - he needs"
As many of you know, Caitlin comes from a family of die-hard Democrats. I was more than happy to support her and Jeff by joining in the excitement of the rally and lending some clapping hands in the appropriate places. I love their political energy.
HUGE ADDED BONUS: We got to go back with Jeff and meet Michelle Obama in person! Kind of a surreal moment considering how big these people are in today's current events.
But the most famous and important person on our list was Jeff. Seriously - full on professionalism with a strong base in passion for the cause. You can't help but be a little bit in awe of someone who is in it all the way.
Which brings me to my next point - me. I know what is going through many of your heads right now. You are asking yourself: "Is Jeff a Democrat now? WTF? Did he fall to Caitlin's powers or was it Michelle herself?"
I am not a Democrat. I am not a Republican. I don't even think I am an Independent. This visit to the Obama rally was extremely helpful in giving me some insight into my political self. While I was sitting there at the rally, I started to get an idea as to what it must be like to be a "Christmas only Catholic." You know what I'm referring to because we all know (or might be, depending on who you are) someone who claims to be a Catholic, but only goes to mass on Christmas and/or maybe Easter. Having known many people like this, I learned that they do have a foundational belief in God. They may occasionally offer their religious (more often moral) stance on certain subjects in conversation, but these views may or may not align with actual Catholic beliefs. They may often base religion in family tradition instead of moral conviction.
I, like my example above, have a foundational belief on the importance of American politics. While I have at some point considered myself a Republican or an Independent, I have made statements that contradict my stance (often without any knowledge of what it means to be a Republican or Independent). Like many people, I was Republican based on my parents' own political tendencies.
I have gone to the polls on Christmas (Election Day), and participated in something that helps me feel like a responsible American, but I did it ignorantly. As I sat in the rally last week, I began to realize how BIG politics really are...the significance and requirements of being a political person are real. Similarly, religion is big. To go beyond mere belief in religion, it requires action, study, and interaction. It is a real commitment. While I enjoyed the rally, I couldn't help but feel ignorant and, thus, manipulated by a lack of knowledge. I feel that if I went to mass as a Christmas only Catholic, I wouldn't help but feel some of the same.
I don't believe in lukewarmness (Luke Warm's a Biotch!...a tshirt I've been wanting to make for a while). I have walked out of poll booths feeling ignorant and regretful, fully knowing that I have voted without knowledge, understanding, or conviction. To be politically responsible, it is going to take some work, study, and action on my part. As this point, I don't think I'm ready for it...but I think I recognize why some day I will want to. For now, I'm not sure if I'll be voting this year.
What does this mean to you, our readers? I AM COMPLETELY MALLEABLE! This is a political missionary opportunity at its most ultimate level! I am a golden contact for your party. Make your case.
Also, please don't be offended by my comments if you are from either party, Catholic, or just plain easy to offend. Loves!

6 comments:

Jana said...

Wow- if Obama is president you will forever have a pic with the first lady to cherish! I agree wholeheartedly with your political words. I haven't done enough studying either.

Alissa said...

First. I love Jeff Winmill. I wish I could have seen him and I hope he sees my profession of love for him. He's my fav!

Second. Jeff, if you're really as malleable as you claim to be...you're living in the land of of Obama, baby! Join the bandwagon (and vote for the better of the two choices)!

Side of Jeffrey said...

Obama does rhyme with Yo mama, which would be fantastic for rapping...so you might have something there abradfordgardner

Sparklebot said...

I wrote up some nonpartisan candidate comparisons for my job this summer. I'll send them over. It breaks down the basics of the candidates' platforms and compares their promises with their voting records.

And, I think your current position on politics is very mature. I wish some other of my friends would consider that ignorantly following in the footsteps of your family's political party is not a good idea.

Frozen Okie said...

Smash, what about equally ignorantly opposing your parents out of rebellion?

Jeff, you should check out http://www.politicalcompass.org/

I think the test skews a bit to the left, I know that I came out more left leaning economically than I really am- but that's because some of the questions ask about how things should be ideally rather than how they should be pragmatically. Either way, it gives a pretty good overview of a number of issues and makes you think a bit. Even if it's a bit off it can give you a starting point in figuring out where you fall in relation to the political landscape.

Nicole said...

I can't get over how many celebs/political celebs you have pictures with. It's sick.

I've been on the Obama bandwagon since 2004, but before that, I too went to the polls and looked for the right letter next to unfamiliar names. How grown up of us to...well...grow up.