29 March 2010

My 2010 Personal Mantra

If you know the Phatwoods, then you know that Ewood likes to come up with a personal mantra each year that represents what his life will be about that year. It could be "The Year of Food" to "The End of the Lameness." Well, I have always appreciated that tradition and thought I'd try it out this year. A few months ago I was sitting with Pam, Dave, Mike and Caitlin and we decided to give it a try. Conversation with Mike went like this:

Jeff: "Mike, what is your mantra for 2010?"

Mike: (after thinking for a bit) "Spill Blood."

Jeff: "Um, spill blood? That's your mantra for 2010."

Mike: "Yeah, I think it really represents what my year is going to be all about."

Pam, Dave and Caitlin also came up with some mantras...all of which failed to shock like Mike's. They were more sensible, like "The year of opening doors" and "Living life by the moment."

Well, I think I have come up with a mantra for 2010 that really represents what I want to accomplish this year and who I'd like to be. You see, I am now a father, a full time employee for the man, a young men's leader, etc. Basically...I have assumed several roles of responsibility. I have been feeling a general sense of death to the childish part of me. As such, I came up with the following:

Jeff's 2010 Mantra: JUST BECAUSE YOU'RE THE DJ, DOESN'T MEAN YOU CAN'T DANCE.

What does that mean for me. Well? Here is what I wore last week to work:Now I recognize that orange socks and a bright purple sweater don't represent anything radical here...just remember I work at a conservative health care company where blue button up shirts and khaki pants are the unwritten rule. But just because I'm a marketing manager, doesn't mean I can't have fun. Just cause we have a baby doesn't mean we can't go out and explore the city, eat out and have fun.

I think this mantra really suits me...just like them socks.

6 comments:

Sparklebot said...

I think I like Spill Blood better :)

Mine is going to be "get a f*#!@^* job, already."

Pamsky said...

I believe mine was "kicking the door down", not something lame like opening doors. I thought sparklebot GOT a job. Am I senile?

Jana said...

I'm glad you could adopt Eric's tradition. It's definitely worked for him.
Should I be scared? Does Mike live in Boise?

Side of Jeffrey said...

He does...and you should watch out. Also, I'd like to give a shout out to Judes who bought me those socks for Christmas. Without her wise purchase I would have been wearing boring black. booooo.

Bek said...

very dapper. even it total clashing colors.

Side of Jeffrey said...

I would like to point out that those socks have purple in them the same color as my sweater...so i clasheth not.