14 July 2009

El Segundo Post de Mexico

Our next morning's adventure took us out onto the ocean for about 5 hours. We took a boat out to an island called Las Marietas to see some boobies. Blue footed boobies, to be more specific. It would also provide us much joy in terms of snorkeling...and thus our excitement was full.Waking up at 7am on vacation is not fun, unless you are going to do something awesome (which we were).P.S. - Is everyone liking Mike's hair? So rad.The sun was already raging at 8am...this would be our biggest day of burnage on the trip. Caitlin was definitely a sufferer for this day (mostly her bottom lip which got destroyed by sun).In typical tourist fashion, they had cameramen out taking pictures that they would later charge us for...but we still bought in to this one. I mean, Mike is kissing a seal. Additionally, Pamski is making an amazing disgusted face. Anyone who knows the Mulcock's knows our love of birds. Basically, this is a moment of ecstasy for Michael. Just orienting you in terms of Mexico. We are at that big black dot.These are our many boat photos. We were on this boat for about 3 1/2 hours going to our destination and back. It gave us much time to bond, watch dolphins and HUGE manna rays, as well as eat and drink virgin pina coladas. I really enjoyed the boat part of this trip. Finally, we arrived to our snorkeling destination:Las Marietas. The snorkeling was pretty decent, and everyone saw some cool fish. Pamsky and I decided to try a different endeavor - Snooba. This is a cross of scuba diving and snorkeling. You get to use scuba gear and gas, but you can only go 20 feet down. For $20, we decided it was worth it.Pamsky prepared. But in the end, she was frightened. But thanks to the strong, masculine, foreign hands of our guide, she was slowly coaxed into comfort. I instantly was going as far down as I could, often tugging on the chord to let me down lower. I now know that scuba diving is a necessity in my life. Mikey, I am jealous of your certification now more than ever.Big D was happy to snorkel in the ocean blue.Mulcock children have often been confused for fish. Extremely sexy fish.An extremely sexy, but rare, Mulcock fish up close.Later we pulled up to this beach to do some swimming and some very lame sea kayaking. Caitlin and I were the firsts to try the kayaks. It was from that moment that the pictures stopped and the sadness began. The second Caitlin took a step off her kayak into the water, she stepped on a sting ray which stung her something fierce on her foot. She screamed, and then started bawling and dragging herself towards the beach.

At first I was very confused and didn't know what to do. I thought she had stepped on glass or something. Also, I really haven't seen Caitlin cry before...so I was very taken aback. But finally my brain kicked into gear and I helped her get to the beach where she began crying for a very long time (like 15 minutes). We got help, and the guides helped apply some aloe vera type plant to her foot while Caitlin basically toughed it out. It was not a happy time - but I'm happy to say that her foot finally returned to normal several hours later. It was crazy. Stupid sting ray - YOU are on my s*** list.After several meals of Mexican food, it was time for Dominos pizza. Sometimes you just need comfort food.We settled into a nightly gathering of card games and discussion. We aren't really a "clubbin'" family - except for the privacy of our own hotel room. More on Mexico soon!

7 comments:

Mikey said...

I think that you have finally woken up to the truth re: SCUBA and for this I am proud. How many conversations did I have with you about this? 20? Ridiculous!

Pamsky said...

I challenge Michael and Jeff to scuba with me. Now granted, I may have been weak initially, but I did persevere. Besides, my dive belt didn't have enough weight on it so I had a hard time getting to the ocean floor.

I can't decide who looks worse - Michelle or myself. Me in my mask or Michelle after she took her mask off. Scary!

Amber Henrie said...

Dude - poor Caitlin! She is brave! Looks like quite the family trip!

Jana said...

Enjoyed the post, and am enjoying Michael's hair immensely.

Bek said...

how does she still look hot pregnant?

Michelle said...

These are some amazing pictures! I can't wait to receive a full CD of pictures. We really need to send you our pictures from the trip ASAP!

Anonymous said...

Michael's hair is HOT.