23 July 2009

Chicago Is Bigger Than Houston

Caitlin's super buddy Mands and her Boy Toy came into town from Houston of all places (who lives in Houston?) to party with us for the 4th of July. It was our challenge to show them a good time.Well, guess what. They don't have Red Mango or Pinkberry in Houston. Weird, right? So we took them there for a devirginizing experience.Preparations for ecstasy.Ecstasy achieved.As is normal with all vacations and people visiting us - we make them eat way more food than they were hoping for. It is really our excuse to go out for every meal and overeat. They spent a few days checking out the town while we worked during the day, but finally Friday (our day off) came and we hit Lincoln Park Zoo. First, we went to Orange for breakfast.Check out my pancake. I mean, what??? So delicious.I wasn't lying about the zoo...that is a legit giraffe friends.Gazing at precious fishies as they swim in their natural habitat.Our habitat is Chicago, Illinois (as seen from the Hancock Building). That's 90+ stories of awesomeness. Boy Toy and I got some virgin beverages while we soaked up the view and Mands/Caitlin went to H&M to shop for clothes.This makes up for the fact that I never ascended the Empire State Building in NYC.Then we popped down to Taste of Chicago to watch fireworks and eat. This, as it turned out, was kind of a mistake. Apparently the entire city goes to TOC on the night of the fireworks. Caitlin left with the crew to get food and never came back in time for the fireworks because they got stuck in the crowds.Seriously, it was packed...but the view was amazing. I ended up watching most of the fireworks alone until the very end when Caitlin got there.Proof - I was there.
Tender bean shots that are requisite when you hit Millennium Park.Fuzzy ones are also allowed.Mands and Boy Toy join the hall of faces with smiles in tow.The next night was actual 4th of July and Don made a cake for the celebration. It rained all day, so we had a picnic in our apartment.Luckily, the stars came out just in time for the fireworks in Evanston. Considering we had experienced the fireworks all separate the night before, we felt it was necessary to observe more. The fireworks in Evanston ended up being much more impressive than the ones in Chicago. It was also the best fireworks I have seen in terms of matching to the music they were playing. Kudos. Us? We were all crazy up in dat businassss...
I think the hardest part besides Mands and Boy Toy leaving us to return to Houston was living with the fact that we had showed them how amazing a city can be. I know they hold jealousy in their hearts, but they are dealing with it from what I can tell. Sorry guys...hope you come back though soon.

1 comment:

mandy said...

I am happy to tell you that since getting back from Chicago I have asked around and it turns out we have a few copy cats of red mango. The last place I went to had a Korean/Chinese/Japanese girl behind the counter so I really felt it was legit :)
Thanks for showing us around; "Boy toy" and I had a great time.