16 March 2009

PowerPoint Has Become Mainstream

So I had to post this slide (below) from a PowerPoint presentation in one of my classes. First, let me say that I hate that PowerPoint is used in a classroom setting. It detracts in many ways, one being that many of the professors use it as a substitute for figuring out ways to effectively teach. I remember the good old days at BYU, high school, etc. when teachers actually taught the material using strong language and speaking skills. I guess PowerPoint can have its pluses, but on the average I believe it is used incorrectly in a classroom setting.

But that isn't the point. So, this slide is from one of the worst taught classes I have ever had in my life (this includes down to elementary school). I am studying for a ridiculous final right now and this is an example of the 700 hundred slides we have to read. Just look at the graphic and the notes and try and make a connection. Just try.

There, don't you feel edumacated.

2 comments:

Ellen said...

Oh, I totally sympathize. 70% of my publishing job was using powerpoint, working with doctors who did or did not know how to use it. For example, the doctor who was presenting at a dementia congress and submitted 70+ slides with pictures and cartoons and jokes. Your audience can't focus on your topic when you're telling a joke every 10 seconds.

Your example is pretty bad. You're right, it's often a substitute for having to teach. I hope you are able to give feedback on the class somehow.

Ellen said...

Also, I can't beat you to blogging about Gino's because I have to steal your pictures. We didn't bring our camera :(