20 March 2009

GEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN!!!

Last Saturday was a very special day in Chicago. Its a day when the whole city spend a day paying homage to my favorite color, green. And man do they pay respect! (Okay, there are rumors that there is a religious aspect to this holiday, but I don't believe it. Its the same as saying there is a religious aspect to Mardi Gras). Caitlin went downtown with some peeps early to see the actual dying of the river. I had some scouting to do that morning, but would join them later.I think everyone was expecting a huge barge to die the river green...but no, it was this little guy.The little boat was up to the task though and the green started quick.When I said the whole city, I meant the whole city. This town loves Saint Patrick's Day with a fierceness. And the river turns green. Real green. The first time I saw it, I couldn't help but go back to Secret of the Ooze. It was like someone urinated green hi-lighter into the water. I have to say, it is pretty awesome and lasts for hours.Caitlin, Heather, and Jenna - three young ladies and a microphone. Okay, no microphone.Oh - and last but not least - my boy DAVIS!!! You da man little guy! Puttin' up with three chicks all morning until Chris and I could come rescue you. One important part of the celebration is freak watching. While these guys are no where near the extremes, they were the approachable ones.Then the city headed over to the parade. This is the part where I showed up. I'll be honest, I didn't even go over to the parade (20 feet away from where I was). I kind of hate parades that don't throw out candy, plus everyone said this one was lame. So instead, we walked around and found a place to eat.I got to see the river for myself.The Tribune building downtown has a piece of Idaho on it - from Craters of the Moon! We had to represent.
As we were eating lunch, I was telling Jenna about how we used to live in Mesa, AZ. We were making connections when I told her that I hung out with a guy named Parker. She screamed, "SHUT UP!" and slammed the glass of water she had in her hand on the table. It shattered - in her hand. Apparently they dated for a summer...must have been quite the relationship.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

First, do you realize you called the post "GEEEEEEEN?" Where is the "r?" The "r" is what makes it. Without the "r" it is merely a strange sound?! Second, I am totally and completely jealous that you got to do downtown for the river coloring. I LOVE St. Patrick's Day and I spent the day studying for Media (worst class ever) rather than joining in on the festivities. I hope I am here for the next one. Peace.

Side of Jeffrey said...

Oh Patrick, you have so much to learn about me. Can anyone fill Patrick in as to why the title of this post would be missing an r?

Side of Caitlin said...

Patrick- you can get the whole story tomorrow when we party with you but for now know this- Geen was Jeffrey's childhood blanket that was used with so much frequency that it turned into a bunch of strings tied together. Fortunately for me "geen" was thrown away just before we were married.

smith fam said...

I think I know why you hate parades...it must be because you grew up in Farmington and I assume you attended the July 4th parade on Main St in Kaysville...candy throwing and water fights all in the same parade...nothing else will ever compare.

Side of Jeffrey said...

bingo Nats. That parade is the only positive parade experience I have had...it shames all other parades.

Bek said...

will you guys invite me to come stay with you?

Side of Caitlin said...

Bek- Will you PLEASE come stay with us???

Jenna{Mommy in Manhattan} said...

Best Saturday ever! We seriously had so much fun with you guys! Thanks for documenting my glass experience! Hopefully Parker doesn't read this! Davis LOVES you so very much! You 2 are going to be the coolest parents.

Side of Jeffrey said...

Holla my boy Davis! Keep chillin' in your phat crib...