20 February 2011

Oh Yes There Is Love

So I may or may not have got all gushy last month over James Blake when I did my top 10 albums of 2010 post. Well, you aren't going to read anything different here so if you already think you don't like his music just skip this post as well.

James Blake produced some of my favorite music last year in a series of excellent short albums, all of which were rich in style, sound and theme. For that reason I have been so very excited about the release of his debut full length album in February. I waited until the second it was released and then purchased it immediately without sampling one single song. I know, I live on the wild side.

Anyway, I was blown away by what I heard coming out my earphones that day. Here was an album I was not expecting, even though the progression of his previous music had been leading me there the whole time. This album is solidly based in Gospel and soul, but with a signature dub step twist mixed with James' sharp and interesting vocals that he has proven a master of mixing in albums like Klavierwerke.

Needless to say, it is awesome and I can't get enough. One listen and I was sold. While there are certainly some stand out songs (the Wilhelm Scream, a completely stunning cover of Feist's Limit to Your Love, Untold), the whole album functions best as a whole - something I love about Blake's music. It is also an album that covers a more universal audience than previous works. Caitlin likes it and so does Judes. I strongly recommend your purchasing this album.


Speaking of love, Caitlin made me a fantastic dinner for Valentines since we babysat for some friends so they could go out (Judes gave us an amazing night out on Friday where we had dinner and saw The King's Speech).


Heart shaped pizza and raviolis?? What! Dope...


Red juice. Love was strong, stomachs were full.

No comments: