02 October 2009

Paranormal Movie Watching Activities

Last night we kicked off October right by hitting the Red Robin and then watching The Eye. I know, not the scariest of fares - but a horror film nonetheless and one we enjoyed. As we began to discuss what movies might be of interest to us this month, an exciting new film came up.

The film is Paranormal Activity. Have you heard of this film yet? If not, start by watching the trailer:

Directed by no-name Oren Peli, the film cost a mere $15,000 to make and has no major special effects, gory blood, or other of the basic Hollywood horror crutches. It was a Slam Dance film in 2008 and was picked up to launch in 13 college towns. Then they basically launched a word-of-mouth campaign where you can request the film to be brought to your town. Based on how many people request to have the film in their area, they will open it up in your town. So now it is in New York City. It just opened in Chicago last night. It is not open in Washington DC - apparently they don't like horror movies enough.

Its crap like this that makes me idolize the Sam Raimi's and Peli's of the world. I have $15,000. But could I make this film? Most likely not. But I value someone who can make you scared by simply understanding what scares the shiznits out of people. That is what a movie like The Eye missed. They think darkness, or loudness, or blood in-and-of-itself is what scares people. I think those things help, but when grounded in true human fear. Let's be honest, you don't want spirits messing with you in your bed in an intimate, real-life scenario. You really don't.

One movie I probably won't be able to see this month, unfortunately, is Scare Zone. Its been circulating around film festivals - but I don't think it has been picked up yet. I love the concept.

This is going to be a great month.

3 comments:

Sparklebot said...

Why are you talking crap about my city? DC can do horror!

Side of Caitlin said...

Ashley! You can hold your head up high! It is now at the K Street theater! I was concerned that your town didn't have the love, and it hurt. But now I know I was wrong.

Sparklebot said...

Phew.

Also, I forced my stepkids to watch The Watcher in the Woods AND Poltergeist this weekend. Even though they were crying in fear by the end of the second film, I think I did the right thing. If they don't watch, how are they ever going to get desensitized?