31 January 2010

Revisiting Some Dark Times in Idaho History

For all of you Chicago friends who read the blog, haven't you been enjoying the lovely race for Governor this year? Especially the last few weeks where our television has been bombarded with campaigns that focus only on the faults of other candidates? I sure have. It has been a long time since I have seen this level of muckraking.

In fact, I CAN remember the last time - it was Idaho 1996. Larry Craig was running for senator against some other dude (lesson is: getting caught in a nasty bathroom scandal will help me remember your name!) and the race was getting intense. It wasn't long before they started relying on bash tactics to discourage people from voting for the opponent. Phrases such as, "Larry Craig's campaign is RADIOACTIVE!" and "He's a LIAR!" became commonplace. The candidates even got a shoutout on Saturday Night Live for being out of control. Scott and I used to imagine our own over-the-top versions of these commercials.

Well, now Chicago is out of control. I have particularly enjoyed that two people of the same party are duking it out. Pat Quinn and Dan Hynes have spent a lot of money making each other look like a bunch of douche monkeys. Well, this year I decided to actually make my own version of a Dan Hynes commercial like I always wanted to back in '96. While it is clearly not true...its not far from the commercials on TV right now. I even tried to use the fun sound effects and lame fonts they use for emphasis! Enjoy!

3 comments:

Ellen said...

I haven't laughed that hard in a while. My favorite touches are the pictures bouncing together when you say "getting it on" and the sound effects, of course.

Sparklebot said...

Didn't you ride on a Larry Craig float?

Side of Jeffrey said...

No. I did not. I believe Shell rode on a Larry Eckohawk float or something.