13 September 2009

Sailing the Seas of Cheese (what band reference is that?)

As I had mentioned previously, Caitlin and I went to Wisconsin last weekend. With Baby Pops on his way with mad speed, we knew it was time to get in some last road trips before we go on pregnancy lock down. For our anniversary I gave Caitlin a trip to Door County, WI to stay in a B&B for two nights.

What we found out is that WI is not just about cheese...it is also about cherries. The largest cherry producer in the US (Utah in number 2, NY is number 3).
The Cherry Hut provided us opportunities to have black cherry vinaigrette and cherry sodas. We stayed in Sister Bay, often famous for Al's Swedish restaurant and their goats on the grass roof. We went to Al's one night for dinner. Our review? Two enthusiastic THUMBS DOWN. Food? Poor at best. Ambiance? Way too touristy. The only redeeming part is that they actually have European waiters and the prices aren't ridiculous for its fame. If you go, just take pictures of the goats and move on to much better restaurants.Instead, go to the Shoreline Restaurant up at Gill's Rock. The food? Fantastic and fresh. Ambiance? Beautiful sunsets on Green Bay with lots of windows and extremely friendly. Busy, but deservingly so. Prices not bad either. That was a great meal and evening.
The next morning we went on a three hour bike ride through Peninsula State Park. We went to the park's ancient lighthouse and enjoyed several different views. The best part was just riding bikes through the forest and talking about stuffs. Baby names were discussed. Our future was discussed. My propensity to have extreme gas was also discussed. You can get a lot on three hours of riding bikes. This is also 1 of 2 belly shots you are going to get from this trip.
I wasn't joking about the views.
proof that I was there...check the wind-blown hair.
More proof. Where is Caitlin? Hiding from the camera.
We went down to Fish Creek for sandwiches and cherry sodas. We bought Baby Pops a book at a kid's store that I think he is going to enjoy soon.
As is required in any place like Door County, we went to the local confectionery for some fudge. We got the nut roll fudge, which was wickedly delicious.
That night (after crappy Als') we decided to kick it at the drive-in movie theater. Seriously, there are drive ins still? I love drive ins. We saw Julie and Julia, which was enjoyable. More enjoyable was drinking soda, eating licorice ropes and making out.
Our royal carriage for the night at the drive in. Yar-dog.
Our B&B was the Woodenheart Inn. At first I was concerned it was going to be too cheesy. The only room left was the "Cherry Room" - and boy does it live up to its name. But when we got there, it was not overly cutesy and the inn was very quaint and awesome. Five rooms. Each morning we would wake up and have a full breakfast with the other visitors.
As I said, it lived up to its name.
Our last day we went to some antique shops and to another lighthouse. This is the second belly shot you get - mostly it was acceptable because Caitlin said she is darkened out. While she is excited to be pregnant, she has not fully embraced the belly yet. I'm sure that time will come.
I, on the other hand, have fully embraced my belly and I jump for joy at the chance to have my photo taken.
Preciousness. It was really great to take a few days for us as we prepare for the Pops. I love traveling with Caitlin. We annoyingly sing the entire 5 hour drive. We both agree on short naps. We are both down for stopping at a moments notice to inspect something that intrigues us. We both are fine with going to a drive-in theater just cause its nostalgic. The chick is dope.
Wisconsin - you are also dope. We will miss your shores and cuteness. Hopefully next time we will return to you with a family in tow. Just you wait.

4 comments:

Mikey said...

Primus, duh!

Mikey

Sparklebot said...

Looks like a good trip. Caitlin needs to embrace the belly and all that it stands for.

Michelle said...

I am so confused. I totally thought that Washington was at least in the top 3 for the largest cherry producer. I mean seriously... mount rainier cherries? Anyway, I thought your cherry room was super adorable. I think Caitlin's belly pictures are precious and it is time to embrace the bell. I really need to go to a drive in now. I pass one on my way to and from work. I also am really wanting a licorice rope right now!

Amber said...

When I drove through Wisconsin this summer I thought it was one of the most beautiful places I saw across the country. I thought all the barns were amazing. I'm glad you had fun.