08 April 2009

New York I Love You, But You're Making Me Fat

This post chronicles our first two days in NYC over my spring break. We arrived on Wednesday night around midnight to find Little, Stephoin, and Pamsky eagerly awaiting us.
Little shows off his new body. He had lost about 22lbs as of the taking of this picture, but is getting closer to 30lbs at the writing of this post. He is becoming a crazed chick slaying demon. Apparently no soda, no junk-food really works. Pamsky is also killin' it on the weight loss front. I call her anorexia girl now (even though she does eat - I saw it with my own eyes).We were glad to see Pamsky for the before she had to run off to the airport the next day to go back to Boise. I'm not sure why I am sitting so weird in this picture - it just happened. I think it is because it is a wicked small couch.
The next morning I went to meet up with Asian 1 and Halesaclause in Madison Square Park. I couldn't help but admire the above apartment building which is finally nearing completion. I been watching them build this for over a year. We had Shake Shack on a cold, but worth-it day. It was great to see them both. Halesaclause is engaged! Asian 1 hopes to be engaged after 10 years of dating! I'm so glad they both have jobs and are doing so well. Man, we had some amazing times at work together. Wish I could have seen all my old friends from work. While we did SS, Caitlin met up with her old co-workers and bonded in their office up the street. We met up around 2 and headed on a walk toward downtown.We walked south and passed by this new part of the Cooper Union School of Art. On the right is a new hotel which we really liked. It is still partially under construction, but the gentlemen at the front invited us in to walk around and check out the building.We stumbled over to Rice to Riches for deliciousness.Yes. It is delicious.We did some shopping in Soho while we mossied around. When Caitlin shops, she means business. Who can walk out of Muji without at least ONE thing? Me thinks it impossible. We probably would have bought more if we didn't have to get downtown to meet up the brothers for dinner.Ah, the old digs. We boys lived here together for 3 years at good ol' Broadway/Nassau. Just looking at this picture makes me homesick. At this point, Caitlin and I were already making massive plans to move back without any regard to reality or consequences. Its hard to go back to something so familiar after 6 months of constant change in a new place.Surprise! Where did we go? Joya. The best thai restaurant on planet earth. Okay, at least outside of Thailand. The staple items there are done with class and crazy goodness. Also - the price is extremely right. Little couldn't believe it was within his budget!Yes, I am ferocious about the vegetable pad thai.And what special meal at Joya would be complete without a stop at Blue Marble ice cream on Atlantic? The people there sheltered us from the rain and took good care of us in the form of awesome creamy happiness. With sprinkles.
End Day 1.
The next morning we ran up to Times Square to buy tickets for Guys and Dolls where I could honestly enjoy the benefits of a student I.D. In the subway we ran into my super buddy Edward!!! He was so excited to see me! I gave him a $, as is customary when I see him. We bonded, spoke briefly in espanol, and bid farewell. It was great to see him doing so well.
We dropped our stuff off at Trace Face's and went running in Central Park. It was an amazing day and we loved running around the reservoir, one of Caitlin's favorite places in NYC. Then it was lunch time.
Big Nick's whole wheat pizza! HEAVEN!Mine with pepperoni and a Dr. Brown's Black Cherry Soda. Seriously, nothing better.We were glad Mike still works there. He saw us and instantly asked how Chicago is treating us. Now that is a server. Six months and still remembers his favorite customers.For dessert (essential treats): Levain Bakery. When Caitlin told me that Levain Bakery made the best cookies on the planet, I was doubtful. How could anything beat homemade cookies straight from the oven at home? Well, these can. They kick your mom's best recipe. Sorry to your mom, but its true.With bodies full of food, it was time to walk. We stopped by the Time Warner Building to remember our wedding. Twas a glorious day that August 4th.We headed down to Chelsea and began walking south with the ultimate goal of meeting Trace Face for dinner at Grey Dog. Little joined us with his skateboard (that he only carried to look cool...never actually got on it).Our time in the West Village was easy breezy. We looked at books, bags, bicycles, jewelry, CD's and frozen yogurt. We people watched - and mostly just tried to remain pimp. Caitlin was extremely kind to buy me a congratulations gift from Jack and Jimbo's Bike Shop for getting my summer job.Only famous people pose this hard, so I was hoping someone would come ask for my autograph. No dice. Thanks for being the paparazzi Little.We found Trace Face and had dinner at Grey Dogs. Then it was up to Times Square for our show. The new TKTS booth is finally finished and pretty rad at night.Guys and Dolls was really good. This theater was the home of Rent for a long time and was just recently fixed up. They did a great job. Still doesn't change the fact that Broadway theaters do not leave room for people over 4'11'' to sit down.Post show Magnolia Bakery for banana pudding.Proof that Trace Face was indeed in attendance.
Stay tuned for the final two days in NYC. Clearly, we meant business.

No comments: