25 September 2008

I Cha, Cha, Choose You

I don't think I am breaking any rules of online friendship propriety by sharing with you one of my innermost dark secrets, am I? Its just that this wild double life I have been living can no longer go on in secret. I have only shared this darkness with Caitlin...but now I believe I must come out fully to the public so they can see my horrid shame. Please don't judge me.

You see, I am addicted to ChaCha. I can't stop using this amazing and free service. If you are not familiar with ChaCha, it is a free messaging service that will answer your questions via text message to your phone. For some reason I don't think you are getting it. Here is an example: Let's say I am in New York and I need to take a dump. I know there are bathrooms in all Starbucks (plus, who doesn't like taking a dump surrounded by the sweet smell of mass produced coffee?), but I don't know where the nearest one is. So I text ChaCha (242242), "Nearest Starbucks to 108th and Columbus." Within a few moments I receive the answer!

Why is this better than texting Google? Because there are real people who are out there answering your questions. You can ask specific questions without an Internet ready phone and get a specific answer back by someone who is personally doing the research for you! Seriously - the applications are endless. The other day in church someone said a phrase I had never heard, so our friends asked ChaCha what it meant. BING...amazing. I seriously have no idea yet how these guys are making money, but I don't care. And if you want to make some extra cash, sign up to be one of their researchers from your personal computer.

So text 242242 right now and ask a question. Or text "joke" and they will send you a joke. So cute.

7 comments:

Kristin said...

This is kind of blowing my mind!

Side of Jeffrey said...

Let it happen. It is amazing. And the consumer relationship aspect is amazing. They are so nice!

Anonymous said...

waaay better than google, not even in the same league. you could even just ask them where the closest place to take a dump is to 108th and Columbus and they would tell you. amazing
no worries, the addiction is amusing and mind blowing and doesn't give you cancer, why fight it?

Sparklebot said...

Last time corbo and I were hanging out, I dared him to make out with an ugly girl that kept walking by that might have been mentally challenged (or, might not have been--we are unsure). I offered him $100 to do it. He texted chacha to ask for advice. Chacha advised Corbo to make out with her.

They have all the answers.

Tamara said...

I just asked ChaCha who the funniest guy around is and it text me back, Jeff Mulcock!!

Anonymous said...

It said fees. Question for ChaCha (or Jeff): have you been charged fees?

Side of Jeffrey said...

I have never been charged fees. They may be referring to whether you have to pay your phone service for text messages received. I have 250 texts per month as part of my plan.